Old 03-22-10, 07:27 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcanum
I live in Rochester NY and have been riding a good bit over the past year. I just got a new bike and I'm thinking about doing a leisurely credit card tour from Rochester to Buffalo and back along the Canal Trail. I shouldn't have any trouble doing about 25 miles a day, resulting in a round-trip of about 8 days. Like I said, leisurely.

This will be my first attempt at touring, and if anything goes horribly wrong there are people in Rochester I can call. The trip would likely be the first week of June. If not then, then probably not until some time in the fall.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with where to stay or not to stay along the route?

For that matter, are there any places I should specifically seek out to see or eat at, or specifically avoid?
My son and I are from Rochester, and we went from Buffalo to Rochester last September. Our journal is at: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=5750&v=2D

Eight days would be a very leisurely tour. :-) If you want to do about 25 miles per day, I'd recommend staying in the Holiday Inn in Brockport, Dollinger's Motor Inn in Albion ( looks like a dump outside, but actually quite nice inside ), and then somewhere in Lockport - there's a ton of places there. Can't recommend any place in particular in Buffalo, and we didn't spend the night there.

The PTNY guide is great, and you'll be fine because all of their road markings are still in place. It's a fantastic ride. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

- Rich

Edit: The place we stayed at in Lockport was the Comfort Inn. All of the motels I mentioned are definitely bike-friendly; The manager in Brockport was car-free herself, and let us lock out bikes in a storage room last year.

Last edited by mulveyr; 03-22-10 at 07:33 PM.