View Single Post
Old 03-23-10, 09:44 AM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont dwell on the components. I kinda meant that more if you wanted to spend more, its worth it. But, so are a few accessories, such as:

-bike helmet
-bike shorts (oh so worth it)
-sports/athletic "wicking" shirts...I prefer Champion from Target, actual bike shirts are too pricy, I pay $10-12 at Target and they are comfy and cool in the summer heat
-tube repair kit, Levers, patches, glue
-bike multi-tool.
-under seat bike bag. Wal-mart has a big bell bag for $8. Cheap and holds a LOT of stuff. Bike shops have similar, for $20 or so.
-bike pump. The sirrus needs about 110psi in its tires, You need a good floor pump for home, and something for the road. I have an Air Stick SL in my under seat bag. It takes a lot for it to fill a tire, but its very small and light.

And, since you live in NYC and I am sure there is broken glass and the sort here and there, you might, instead of upgrading bikes, upgrade TIRES. Specialized Armadillo or Schwable Marathon Plus seem to be the tops for puncture resistance. Still carry tube patches, levers and a pump, but with better tires you increase your chances of not having a flat. Armadillos will set you back $100 for the set, but might be worth the peace of mind!