View Single Post
Old 03-23-10, 05:25 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Presto is from Amsterdam, Netherlands ...and, like Bianchigirl already mentioned, on the top the stays we find "XXX", which is derived from the Amsterdam coat of arms, as is the badge

Some Prestos also came with "XXX" milled away under the bracket. This one doesn't, but has another nice touch there. More on it later.

Frame
This mid 70s Presto frame is made by a masterbuilder with a very perfectionist attitude: Jan Legrand. There are plenty nice touches.

Notice the slot with the drillings at the ends under the clampbolt. Jan considered that superior in constuction than the usual clamping-solution >>

Below pic does not only show you the tubing decal, but it also clearly shows you the ridges of the stay-tops. A typical Legrand feature. I have heard it is created for better brazing surface, heat flow or something like that (feel free to add to this). Some will also recognize it from their TI Raleighs of the late 70s/early 80s. An influence by Legrand? Could very well be as by then Legrand had started as masterbuilder/chief mechanic for TI Raleigh for a couple of years.

Typical: Squarish brake bridge >>

...and there is also a little squarish tube behind the bracket. If you look very closely, below pic also unveils a little about the cable routing. There is no braze on, no, the cables run slotted in the bb shell itself. Simple.

View on the Cinelli lugs and the top of the Presto-typical chromed forks. The fork has a complety smooth surface. The crown fits in the blades instead of the for the era more usual other way round >>

Picture also provides a glimpse on the spacer between uppercup and locknut. So far all Prestos I've seen -and I've seen quite a lot- showed that setup. So steerer slightly longer than frame needs. A clear design choice obviously.

Each Presto was build individually and is in fact a one off. Also in the characteristics mentioned above there can be differences in execution from frame to frame.

I happen to have another goldish-painted Presto frame, also a 'Model Campagnolo' and though alike it is very different at the same time. The lugs have more cut outs and have seen more filing. The drop outs are drilled. Probably all in an attempt to save additional weight. The Presto could also be ordered with 753 tubing. They were very expensive in the day and while you won't see a 531 one on every corner of the street, the 753 is even more rare.
Likes For Elev12k: