Old 04-11-05, 10:41 PM
jreeder

Bikes: '04 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First criterium questions

I'll be racing in my first road race ever (which happens to be a criterium) in about 3 weeks and I had some basic questions.

- I am reading that a lot of criteriums have avg speeds of 27+ mph! I average more like 20 or 21 mph on my 25 mile training rides, which is about the length of this crit. How am I ever going to keep up with the pack at 27 mph?

- Should I replace my tires before the race? I only have one set of wheels and tires, and they are the ones I train on, so they probably have 400 miles on them or so since the last time I changed them. I know that I'll be flying around turns at faster-than-normal speeds, and the last thing I want to do is go sliding across the pavement if my rubber won't hold.

- Anyone have any basic tips to keep in mind for my first race? I don't have any delusions of being the first one across the line, but I would like to put in a good effort. I would also like to keep the skin I have in place, rather than leaving it on the road. Should I try to fight it out in the first third of the pack or am I just asking for a crash?