sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
DX-Man..... I clipped a ton of your post.....just wanted to comment on this statement specifically.

This is not by any means 100% true, as with any law what happens in actual court rulings brings the preponderance of case law. As an example, in california, there is a state supreme court opinion (don't know the tecnical term, but is was not a ruiling based on a case, but the court was asked for how they would interpret parts of the FRAP code) that basically says that single file is required. In short, 2 bicylist cannot decide it is practicble to ride side by side as the the cyclist on the left is as far right a practible because there is a cylist on the right.

Back to OP..... I think the idea of a clear standard that is well understoood 3 ft/ 1 yard/ 1 meter gives a better guidline to all concerned, motorists, cylists and hopefully law enforcement. So there is value there
Out of curiosity, do you think that this would be applicable (or at least attempted to be applied) in a case where a cyclist has the right to take the lane?

I mean, by California law you need not share the lane with a car if it's of "substandard width"... but what is substandard for a car and bike to ride side by side may not be substandard for two bikes to ride side by side.

Has anyone ever heard of FRAP being invoked to pop someone not riding single file in a situation where single file would have no bearing on motor vehicle traffic? Just curious...