Thread: Bike Rack Woes
View Single Post
Old 03-25-10, 06:07 AM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a Saris bones rack and found those adaptor rods on my local craigslist used, I got 2 for the price of one. Just before I found them I was considering a home-brew solution. I was thinking of taking an old broom handle, cutting it to size for the bike(from the head tube to the seat tube), then drilling holes near each end to run some shoelaces or leather strapping through. You could then attach these to the bikes and try it out to see if you can make the rack work. The adaptors do work well for step-through frames, i'm not sure how they'll be on suspension 'Y' frame mountain bikes yet. In the past I've also flipped step-through frames and 20" bikes upside down to strap them to the rack. goofy and a bit unorthodox but it'll get you down the road a few miles. I wouldn't want to take a long trip camping like that though.