Thread: Mavic ES repair
View Single Post
Old 03-25-10, 07:54 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TLCFORBIKES View Post
Out ot true is fixable. Bent rim = replace rim. Your LBS should be able to do a "lace-over". By using the old hub and spokes (assuming that they are all good -- and there is very good chance they are) the wheel builder attaches a new rim to the old rim and just transfers old spokes (1 at a time of course) to the new rim and then completes the build. Ask for the old rim and hang it up some where as a reminder (for your own personal reasons). The rim will cost over $100 - unless you know the boss very well. Good luck and take care of your soon to appear sore body parts.
TLCFORBIKES, thanks so much for the advice on a rebuild. I think this is the way I will go; now I just need to find a new rim because the hub and spokes are fine.

Also, you hit the nail on the head with displaying the rim. I'm going to put it someplace to remind me that on each outing I need to be a better, smarter and more aware rider. Great piece of advice!