View Single Post
Old 03-25-10, 09:54 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
I recently tried to lace a wheel 28-hole, 3x and discovered that it is not possible with some hubs - it depends on the hub flange diameter whether the spoke can make the angle required to do 3x, should be no problem with 2x. But I'm more conservative when it comes to tandem wheels and would use 32 hole 3x on the front as well as the rear because the front wheel is still bearing a lot of weight.

Everything I've read has also said that tying and soldering is a waste of time.
You are correct about 28 3X might not work on some hubs because the angle is too great.
I was using Ultegra hubs which have a small diameter.
I found with 2X that there was a very small angle and the spokes crossed closer to the hub at the thick portion of the spoke butt.
This was causing the spokes to leverage against each other and creating a force was which enough to over stress and break the spokes which happened as soon as I rode the wheel. This may or maynot be a problem depending the particular hub and spokes being used.
I agree That 32 hole 3X is a better configuration and is what I use on front and back.
If you want to save some weight and make the wheels more aero, consider using Sapim CX Ray or similar bladed spokes. It will cost you about $2 more per spoke.