View Single Post
Old 03-26-10, 04:47 PM
Phiberglass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steer me away from a Tri bike

I'm looking into purchasing a new road bike. I've been riding steel road frames in the past and am planning on moving into full carbon. I've been to a few LBS to try out what they have to offer and most of the road frames I've tried have had pretty relaxed geometry making the ride really boring and "loose". Most of the previous road bikes and fixed gear bikes I have owned have had a tight geometry.

As of right now I'm still trying out other bikes but it's between a BMC SLT01 Team Machine (2009) and a Cervelo P2. Getting on the P2 just felt right, geometry was perfect, nice and tight bike, steering was very precise and it felt great all around. I'm used to riding with bullhorn bars and have rode with aero bars in the past so I do enjoy them. But for a road bike I'm torn between going the P2 route vs the SLT01.

I'm aware that with the Tri Bike many group rides won't allow me in and I can't do crits at the local races, but those aren't a huge deal to me. Most of my rides are usually fairly flat going from Dana Point to San Onofre or up through Laguna Beach. The only thing I'm worried about is riding a tri bike in some of the hillier situations where a drops would be easier to climb and more versatile. I'd like to get into triatholons later on, but obviously I can ride a road bike through these, where as I would be limited to strictly TTs and tris with a tri bike.

Tell me some negatives to steer me away from buying the P2, but I'd also like to hear some positives of people use tri bikes as their daily road bike.

Cliffs: Looking for new road bike, want to go all carbon, I enjoy tight geometry of triatholon bikes and I prefer bullhorns/aerobars over drops as I usually never go down on the drops. Thinking about picking up a tri bike for my daily road bike, want to hear pros and cons of this decision.

Thanks!

Last edited by Phiberglass; 03-26-10 at 04:50 PM.