Old 03-28-10, 05:12 PM
Kurious Oranj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another frame fitting question...

Hello all,

I know most people are probably getting tired of the "how will this frame fit me?" questions but I thought it would not hurt to ask this friendly forum once more.

I am in the process of building a long-distance bike (long distance for me essentially means centuries or slightly longer unless I get infected by the long distance bug). I value comfort much more than speed when it comes to longer rides (in other words, I'm slow...). I am interested in the Velo Orange Rando frame which looks pretty nice, at least on the VO website. Not having any VO frames of this kind anywhere close to me I will have to buy it unseen and I have some questions regarding the fit. I am 179 cm tall (5 feet and 10.5 inches) with an inseam of 33. I was thinking of either a 55 cm (TT = 550mm) or a 57 cm (TT = 570) frame. I currently have a 56 cm Masi Speciale CX with a 550 cm TT and a 100 mm stem that I ride with comfort as well as a 56 cm Surly LHT (TT = 570) that is also quite comfortable although I am a little more stretched out than on the Masi.

I know that everyone's fit is different and there is no hard and fast rule on frame sizing and fit. Being a n00b when it comes to long-distance cycling, I thought I should again ask the wise (thanks for all the answers to my previous triple vs. double question). Should one ride a slightly larger frame long-distance? Would the larger VO frame be more desireable than the smaller one (the 55 cm) assuming I can adjust the reach with the stem length or should I go with the shorter one? Any ideas or comments on frames for LD riding in general?

Thanks!