View Single Post
Old 03-29-10, 01:17 PM
hoongfu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchasing a Grand Jubile

Hey everyone, I am pretty new to the forums but I think this is a great collection of info and knowledgeable people. I am planning on buying a 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile from a local bike store for $250. The bike seems to be in decent shape, the frame has no scratches/marks, the brakes are still thick and working, and the stem shifters work well, but I might change the shifters to the kind that are at the bottom of the handle instead. The wheels are good, but the top bracket might need to be adjusted and the bottom one might need to be changed within a year or 2. - Said the guy that was helping me. The seat is terrible, going to replace it with a modern thin seat, or leather one if I really want to invest into it, but I heard leather is kinda pricey.

I was just curious if this purchase is worth it because the kid said the bike normally goes for 400 easily.

The purpose I will be using the bike for is just general riding in the city, and I am planning to go on this 75 mile ride for raising funds for people with MS.

Thanks for all your help and I will try to get pictures of it and post it up here.

For now this is a pretty good reference of what the bike looks like:

http://bit.ly/d2uGdv

Same color scheme but this bike is more clean.

Last edited by hoongfu; 03-29-10 at 01:21 PM.