I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
This forum is almost exclusively concerned with carfree living as a personal and individual strategy. But there is also a large movement to make entire areas--cities, neighborhoods, regions, islands, etc.--totally carfree. A large number of such places already exists, located all over the world. LIST

Have you ever visited or lived in a carfree area? Tell us your impressions. Also, what are your opinions about efforts to make areas carfree?
Maybe you should define a car free city. Freiburg, Germany, the top car free city listed on your wikipedia List_of_car-free_places is by no means a car free city. I've been many times to Freiburg, my daughter went to the University for two years and I frequently drove down from Heidelberg to visit. In fact we looked at living quarters in Vauban, also cited in your reference and it is hardly a city but more like an apartment complex with limited parking, very well served by a tram line.There are pedestrian zones in business areas (Fussganger Zones) common to many if not most European cities

Freiburg a truly car free city? Only in a zealot's fantasy.