View Single Post
Old 03-30-10, 06:06 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 239 Posts
Can't tell from those pictures. It really depends on the condition of the paint. A Prelude is a pretty nice bike, I have had two of them in the last year. If the paint is pretty good, or easily cleaned up with some minor (really minor) touchup, then it is worth the asking price. Pristine, it is worth more than the asking price.

If I were you, I would be ready to pay full price if the bike looks pretty good in person.

If the paint is bad (and it does not look bad in the pictures, but it is hard to tell), then the value is much lower. A bike that needs a repaint becomes worth about what the components are worth (wheels, derailleurs, brakes, etc). Even though a Prelude is a nice bike, a quality repaint with appropriate replacement decals will cost more than the bike is worth. So it becomes a $75 bike at that point.

I don't see that level of defects, but the pictures are poor. Very likely this is a really good deal if you can get it for $150, or even $200. And it is a lot better bike than the Kabuki and the Gitane, like 2X to 3X better!!!

It looks like a 1989. By 1989, Schwinn had made some nice improvements to the Prelude over earlier versions. It will have 700c wheels, cromoly stays, and of course the Columbus Tenax main frame.

One other big plus is that the bike is black in color. That is the easiest color to touch up.

Personally, I would not wait til 5PM tomorrow to look at it.

I have scooped up similar bikes with anxious sellers by getting there first. What if the seller lets it go tonight for $125? It could and does happen. You probably will be alright going tomorrow evening, but I would not take the chance.

IMHO, the Tenax Schwinns from the late 80s are real sleepers and underappreciated. I have had two Preludes and a Tempo, all were great bikes.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-31-10 at 08:06 PM.