View Single Post
Old 08-19-02, 06:58 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no idea about UK... or the rest of Europe for that matter (despite the fact i live in Germany)

in the US, as far as i know there is no federal law, so set by individual state law --- so varies by state -- but most states have laws something like "bike must have a seat for each rider" or something similar often with special specifications of what designates a seat with special attention given to child seats... some states also specifically prohibit more than one rider on a bike designed for 1 person or specifically prohibit riding on handlebars or whatever

that said, i sometimes use my rear-rack and extra long rear-skewer for my trailer as footpegs to transport a passenger... i suppose depending on your interpretation the rear rack COULD be argued to be a "seat"... i've never been stopped by the police. i also see 2 on a bike relatively often in Munich, but that doesn't mean it's legal (wrong-way cycling is also common and illegal)

just guessing, but w/o a seating surface i would be surprized if it's not illegal... now if you built some kind of a rear rack with a pad that works as a seat, maybe it might be legal ? maybe someone here knows the actual law for Scottland.