Old 04-03-10, 02:26 AM
Sir Lunch-a-lot

Bikes: Montague Folding/E-Bike, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
You may have a point. But which group has a mindset and which group has the most influence on society? Which group has a mindset that represents the future we will live to see? I believe we can agree that cycling is a minority group. Living car free is a minority within that group and cycling in the snow and ice is a minority within that group. That is a lot of mindsets that need to be reset before it is even noticed.
True. However, 25 years ago most people (I believe... what I am about to say is based strictly on my own observations/experience. I have done no scientific studies or anything to support this, so there is a possibility that I am not entirely correct) had not heard about global warming. The idea that our lifestyle was hazardous to the environment was quite foreign. If they did know about it, they didn't really care, it was a far off problem. But there were scientists and activists who kept pressing the issue and gradually brought it into the public consciousness. All of a sudden, within the past 5-10 years there has been a shift in marketing and the like to promote "Green" or "Environmentally Friendly" (even if a lot of it is dubious in terms of environmental friendliness), which indicates a shift in the thinking of the public about the issue (because marketers want to appeal to the public). Now, there is still a lot of work to be done, but gradually the view/knowledge held by the minority is being disseminated into the consciousness of the majority. This generation shares a new mindset with the next generation, and some of them will catch that mindset, and pass it on to even more of the next generation (hopefully). And as a change in attitude/mindsets comes, change will happen more and more. It can be the same with cycling. Yes, the predominant mindset is one that scoffs at the idea of riding as an alternative mode of transport. But if enough of us live a cycling lifestyle, and show our friends and neighbours that it is not as hard or crazy as it initially seems, mindsets will gradually change. I get the impression that those mindsets are already starting to change, as is evidenced by some cities starting to invest more in cycling infrastructure.

As Mr. G. said: "Be the change..."