View Single Post
Old 04-03-10, 08:06 PM
JakeB1992

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Morphy,

For what it's worth...I'm new to this as well...6'4", 230 lbs and living in the hell hole of Orlando, FL. Flat, flat, flat. Palm tree, scrub pine, srub pine, palm tree. "Moon-scaped neighborhood, strip mall, moon-scaped neighborhood...sigh...I too am having trouble deciding what type of bike I want/need though, I'm pretty sure I'll not get a MB...

A good friend let me borrow a Cannondale CAAD8 and I took it out today for the "commute" ride. Before I went, I visited a good local bike shop where I purchased:

- A pair of baggy bike shorts with padded insert shorts (Canari, @ $74)
- A pair of bike shoes with inset clip capabilites (@ $76)
- A set of of the clips for the shoes (@ $5)
- A set of pedals for use w/the shoes (@ $68
- A roadside emergency bag (@ $25)

Still married though my wife hasn't seen the bill yet...

Today's ride was @ 28 miles round trip. Glad I purchased the items above...though I'm still sore...perhaps I got the wrong kind of padding?!?!?

Though I'm a complete rookie, I'd echo the sentiment expressed by a few about going new. The bike was 1000 times better than anything I've ever ridden, but...I think I will be looking around a bit still.

In fact, I'm considering the bikes below because they seem to be built for a bit of pounding, allow me to ride a bit more upright (felt it in my hands today a tiny bit though I had "lifting" gloves on), and will allow for a solid rack, (the Fuji already has the rack) and panniers.

- 09 Specialized Sequoia $849.990
- Fuji Touring, 1,089 (MSRP--local guy says he can get Fujis from 55 to 15% less & Bikesdirect.com has it fo $695

Would be interested in the group's take on the above...good luck to you!--JakeB