Thread: '78 Guerciotti
View Single Post
Old 04-04-10, 04:57 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Freeload
where i got the date from was that i saw a page on one of those "show off your bike" sites and it was the exact twin of my bike and he seemed pretty keen on it being a '78, what are some better was to tell?? i know you can look by parts and i seem to remember double checking but i cant remember for sure.
The braze-on front derailleur also makes it later. One thing you can't go by is other people's estimates of the ages of their bikes, unless you can confirm that they're exceptionally knowledgeable or have an original sales slip. Even "original owners" are wrong all the time. You can also check the date codes on the rear derailleur and the crank arms. This is not perfectly reliable, as parts can be changed, but it gives you something to go by in combination with the frame details. I'd bet it's early 80's, maybe 1983, give or take, but that's as a non-Guerciotti expert. What makes you believe the pedals are Super Record and not SL? (Crankset is Super Record, BTW, and not Nuovo Record).