konageezer
Gravel for Breakfast

Bikes: Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy Lofter,

Of course many things to see and eat and listen to in Vancouver, too much to catalogue here, so I'll paint with broad strokes.

First: My LBS is Denman Bike Shop. Small place, but super-friendly and accommodating owner. Stop in there for all your bike needs.

Areas to avoid: Downtown Eastside, east of Gastown, up as far as the Skytrain Station. Not a good neighbourhood, especially after business hours.

Places to eat: lots of funky eateries all up Main Street (concentrate your search between Broadway and 28th Ave. "Locus" is recommended), cheap and cheerful chicken shawarma (my favourite) at Falafel King on Denman near the bay. (get it to go and eat at the beach) Lots of other places along Denman, too. Robson Street has all the decent chains (Earl's, Cactus Club, Milestones, —even a Hooters, if you can believe it) Sophie's on West 4th Avenue is alleged to have the best breakfast in the city—always line-ups on the weekend.

Night life: Totally depends on your taste. When you get into town, pick up a free Georgia Straight newspaper and scope out their club listings. They cover it fairly extensively.

There are three or four places to rent bikes at the north end of Denman Street (close to Stanley Park) and the city has a fairly comprehensive network of bike routes to get yourself around. Get a map at any bikery.

Hope this is in some way helpful, and that Vancouver is good to you.

Geezer