View Single Post
Old 04-06-10, 04:07 PM
JMallez

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could probably lose 20 pounds in about 3 months eating healthy and exercising. It will be tough though. At 23 you should definitely try to bring your weight down so that as you get older and work increases and metabolism decreases at the very least you'll have a nice buffer. You didn't put it in there but cut back on alcohol consumption or go for low cal drinks if you drink.

I would cut out the caffeine pills, use coffee instead (with a paper filter). It has antioxidants & caffeine, and supposedly when you sweat it out it helps decrease blemishes. Diet seems healthy, just keep it that way, cut out simple carbs (sugar, white rice, white bread, etc.) and only go with whole grain carbs. I always recommend the basics when dieting: whole grains, dark greens, beans, fruits, and fish (sardines & salmon). If you cut out the processed/synthetic foods (chips, cokes, white bread, snacks, etc.) then I wouldn't worry about carbs. Key is to eat food that looks like food and usually you can't go wrong.

As far as weights, if you're on a treadmill you should already be in the gym. Do a quick 30 minute weight exercise followed by your cardio. Try to do 4 sets of 8 to 15 reps with a moderate amount of weight and little rest in between. This should help you build muscle and keep your heart rate up so you're in a "cardio" mode. Your current weights routine seems more cardio, and will not grow as much muscle. Muscle growth should help burn more calories throughout the day. If you want to notice a difference in body form target your chest, shoulders, triceps, biceps, upper back, and abs.

I weighed 160 when I was 23, and at 27 was at 185 because of office jobs/travel/per diem/eating out, started eating healthy and exercising 2 months ago and now I'm at 172. It's become a lifestyle for me as well, I don't want to die of cancer or any other disease that a healthy lifestyle could potentially prevent.

Last edited by JMallez; 04-06-10 at 04:13 PM.