Old 04-08-10, 04:00 PM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
My favorite way to carry my stuff so far - my current set up of rack trunk w/ fold down panniers. Haven't tried proper panniers yet, though I hope to get some soon for a little touring this summer, but the Topeak rack trunk w/ the MTX system is super convenient and can fit everything I need for work and the occasional package to carry home, too. Then I can always bungee cord other items on top of the trunk, too.

Did the backpack thing from when I started commuting last spring until Christmas. Not a big fan. It worked for me and made commuting possible at a time when money for a rack, trunk, and/or panniers was tight, but it's certainly not my preferred method at all.
+1 on the Topeak Trunk bag with the Quick Track system. Have used a Topeak EXP bag for the last two years and it has held up remarkably well. The fold down panniers will hold a change of clothes, shoes, lunch, jacket when it gets too warm. etc. and its pretty durable. Probably not the best choice for carrying a lap top or riding in the rain, but for a quick simple way to get the backpack off your back, its hard to beat.