View Single Post
Old 04-09-10, 05:32 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My altimeter also measures grade. If it was very short stretches of that grade, the altimeter would not pick it up (barometic variant), but every time I looked down at it, it was 11 or 12% and I was hurting enough that I was looking for anything to make me feel better, such as climbing such a grade for such a long time (to me). 9% is the average, because there are a few short stretches(closer to where the flattened section is and a small bit after you make the first turn from the beginning stretch) where it eases up to 5-6%, but those were rather short, and not enough for me to garner any real recovery time, just a lessening of "OMG my quads are on fire!" for a bit. The first part was a lot worse than the part after the flattened section because it was in general less steep, although by that point anything over 8% was enough to elicit a groan from me.

That guy also did it quite a bit faster than me, so he probably doesn't slow to a snail's pace once things get over 10% like I do. Lot of the climbers in my club, due to any number of reasons, don't seem to bob up and down in speed as much because they are strong enough to power through the steeper sections better without the drop in speed that less fit folks like myself do (up to a point, as anyone unless they are pro is going to slow down up something nasty like welch rd).

Last edited by deep_sky; 04-09-10 at 05:46 PM.