View Single Post
Old 04-11-10, 11:09 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Keep in mind I'm using a cassette on the 700c wheels I mentioned. Right now it's on the 27"s, but I'm wanting to change that. Afterall, I bought some 32mm Panaracer TG's brand new at half cost. So, I gotta use'm....right?

Okay, so I'm limited to what I have right now. I don't have a 41 tooth chainring. I do have 2 @ 42, but one is an SR with 118bcd and the other is strictly an inner ring.........although @ 110bcd. I say strictly because it's kinda offset in how it fastens to the crankarm. The tabs, that is, are offset. It mates originally to a Sakae CR crankset. Maybe you've seen them before? They have the sort spiraling pattern to them?

Anyway, I could run that 45 as the outer ring (given what I've just learned about the GT's capacities) and the "offset" 42 as the inner with a 24 tooth granny. Then run 13-28? I have 2 oddly numbered HG cassettes and one evenly number HG cassette. So, I could easily build 13-28. It's kinda low on the top, but I don't suppose that's the worst thing in the world.
I was just trying to provide some illustrations.

if you want to see what some of the options are with a 45/42, fine, I can show you some. I can't guarantee to only tell about what you can make with your hardware on hand, because I don't know what you have or don't have, or if you're willing to hunt on Ebay for the good, cheap solutions. But first you have to identify a small group of possible solutions. For that you need to kinda become your own designer.

PM me your email address and I can email you my spreadsheet for designing half-steps.