Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Szerek
...snip...

Thank you in advance for any responses.
No problem Szerek, welcome to the forums

Inevitably in just about every "looking for a new bike" thread you will see a p*ssing contest between buying online and buying locally. For what it's worth, LBS support > bike swagger. I'd really advise against buying used as well. Buying a used bicycle is a real crap shoot. Sure, there are smoking deals from time to time but you really need to know what you're looking at. Does the bike properly fit you? Is there anything glaringly wrong with it? Does the chain need replaced? How thin are those rims? Do I need new cables? What will an overhaul from the shop cost me when I discover that my mechanic tools in the garage can only do 60% or so of the work I need? So really by time you figure an overhaul plus a couple replacement parts to get the used bike where you want it to be, the price gap between new and used often becomes negligible.

This is what I have to say: Don't spend too much time fretting over your first new bike. It will NOT be your last one if you decide to stick with cycling. Your first bike is an awful lot like your first girlfriend/boyfriend/sheep (we don't discriminate here ). You'll bring er home just as proud as a peacock, ride er all day and night, blow all your allowance on presents...then promptly dump it for one you like better.

Don't sweat it. Go to the shop and ride all the bikes in your price range. Ride a couple from each category (mountain, road, hybrid, comfort) and pick the one that you like best! We'll help you sort out the details as they arise.

Bau