View Single Post
Old 04-12-10, 09:01 AM
JSNYC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here’s a few other component-related questions that come to mind. Some of these my builder will address (as well as DaVinci for their crank/BB questions), but I’d still very much appreciate your experienced inputs as well. I’ll leave wheel questions out of this thread, since there are already many others dedicated to that topic, and I’ll ask there instead.

1) Cranks/BB: will FSA tandem cranks (Gossamer or SLK) run with Shimano Ultegra or DA hologram BB’s? I don’t know if the spindles are quirky like SRAM, with one end a slightly different diameter than the other. The ratio of horror stories to positive experiences with FSA tandem cranks I’ve picked up thus far is not positive (seemingly driven often by bas FSA BB’s), but it seems like they’re the only more “affordable” game in town unless I go with Da Vinci, or do something homegrown….which leads to next questions…

2) Cranks: if I picked up an Ultegra or DA 7803 triple crank, what are my ready-made options for captain front cranks and stoker non-driveside crank arm? I got excited about finding a 7803 crank online (I happen to love the 7800-series hollowgram design), but then the wind got taken out of the sails when I realized what else I’d be needing. And I don’t particularly want to be dealing with custom machining (helicoil inserts and so forth).

3) BB: Assuming my frame’s BB’s are 68mm, how do I determine spindle length on the captain & stoker BB if I get the DaVinci cranks and square taper BB setup?

4) BB: I presume spindle length variance w/DaVinci is their way of addressing chainline differences vs. FSA providing shims?

5) Cranks/chainring: For the timing chain cranks (what are those called, technically?), what is the preferable tooth count on the chainrings? DaVinci specs 34t 1-piece spider/chainring, whereas the FSA’s seem to come with 42.

6) Chain: is there anything particular about drive chain length (I’m assuming that’s what the chain is called that goes from stoker crank to cassette/derail.?) that I should be aware of, i.e., do I set it up with tension similar to single road bike? In terms of length, I presume 1 chain will suffice?

7) Chain: for the timing chain, is there anything special I need to get in terms of chain type/brand, or will any narrow profile chain do? And in terms of length, what can I expect to need, 1 ½ chains?

8) Derailleur cables: is it best (in terms of performance) to run one long one (assuming the OEM Shimano lengths work) or run them with splitters? Also, on a related topic, is there any performance (or convenience) difference between frame-mounted barrel adjusters vs. housing-based adjusters (e.g., Jagwire) given how long the cable can be?

9) Brake cables: same question--is it best to run one long one (assuming the OEM Shimano lengths work) or run them with splitters?

10) Cables & housing: any meaningful difference by running aftermarket housing & cables vs. Shimano OEM? On my road bikes, I’ve ran both Shimano and Yokozuna Reaction cables & housing, and there’s no perceptible difference (unlike my experience with that combo on my former SRAM Red-equipped bike, where the Yokozuna cables & housing made a big performance improvement, esp. since that housing is ridiculously stiff).

11) Stoker stem: I’m guessing that an adjustable stoker stem would be the best way to go for getting my wife’s position dialed in over time, but I don’t know how those types of stems work with rise & reach. Her current reach is ~61cm with ~3cm of drop. Am I better off just getting a stem that matches that reach profile, and slide it up or down on the captain seatpost to accommodate drop changes as time & fitness evolve?

12) Headset: anything special I should be aware of in that regard, particularly with respect to load/durability? Any brand preference? I usually leave headset decision up to the builder due to various geometry issues surrounding stack height. (De facto, I’ve been running Chris King HS on my road bikes).

13) Brakes: assuming I run regular F&R calipers in lieu of discs, are tandem forks—unless specifically designed—set up to run “normal” short reach calipers?

That’s it for now…

Many thanks in advance for your patience & thoughtful replies.