Old 04-14-10, 05:07 AM
leedavis88

Bikes: Scott CR1, GT XCR, Scott Vail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Well I understand what you're saying. Our climbing ability is limited by our aerobic capacity, which even with the best training is only so large. So if you are getting dropped on hills and yet have low bodyfat, like you do, your only recourse is to lose protein.

That's never easy. The best way I know is the way Lance lost it before last year's TdF. Go out the door with two water bottles and just ride. Carry something with you to eat, but try not to. Just ride. Not hard at all, you just want the time. When you get back, eat, but don't stuff yourself. You won't be able to anyway. Have a recovery drink with the normal carb/protein ratio and then food that's half veggies. Keep your portions controlled, but make sure you get enough protein. You'll be hungry a lot, but the weight will melt off. The main thing is to keep the mileage up and the effort and calories down.

After your weight drops to around 155, you can worry about the fine points of strength and speed. A BMI of 22 is upper limit for many pros. Though I'm perfectly happy at around 25, but like you, know I could be faster if I were lighter, but my wife doesn't like skinny boys.
Thanks, I'll give this a shot. What HR zone do you think I should maintain as 'not ride too hard'?