Old 04-14-10, 10:10 PM
Ware

Bikes: 2009 Felt F75, 2007 Trek 7.2FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acaurora
- I feel like I'm always in the wrong chainring on the compact.
- I have to go +/- 2 cogs to keep the same cadence when I shift between rings. You're going to have to do that with the full size double as well... at least, if you want to maintain a consistent level of power.
- I feel out of sync with everyone else on group rides. Care to elaborate? Personally I don't think you should be worrying about that
- I'll get a bit more top end, which I shall truly enjoy, where I live. That's definitely something that I have noticed too, switching from a compact
- I don't need the 34/25 here. When you hit the big hills, believe me, you wish you kept it
Hey, thanks for the response. As for the group ride thing, I should have listed my points by level of importance, as this one is the most minor. However, since I mentioned it, I will display by excellent reasoning. Theoretically, i should be able to get a similar cadence for a given speed as anyone (most people around here) using a standard double, except when we get up around 30 mph; so, that must not be it. I think the problem largely stems from shifting up front more often than others, and when no-one else is doing so.
For instance, on last Sundays ride, when a much more experienced friend noticed my compact, she mentioned a number of things. One of them was that she had only popped onto the big ring maybe once up until that point in the ride. By that time, I had switched back and forth 4 or 5 times (we were mayyybe 25 mi. into the ride). Sure, that only comes out to once every 5 miles or so.. but it happens at inopportune times. To illustrate, this past Tues. night we were running laps at a park in prep. for a crit coming up this sun, I on my compact, others on standards. There is one short, yet fairly steep climb on the course, and with my gearing, i need to drop to the 34 just as the hill goes from gradual to steep, while everyone else stays in their 39. I lost a second or two every time that happened.

As for needing the compact on big hills: We don't have big hills here. If it's long, it's not steep. If it's steep, it's not long. Also, I can throw on a cassette with a 28t bailout (largest tooth on my current cassette is 25t), and get some of that leverage back.

Also, shouldn't I just have to drop/add 1 cog when i shift upfront with a standard? Seems like the 2 toothe reduction in difference between rings equate to approximately 1 cog? If not, then damn.

You said you noticed increased top end when you switched from a compact.. so you now have a double. Do you regret the change?