Old 04-20-10, 04:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I damaged my achilles tendons on a 1200K randonnee in 2002 ... micro tears.

I didn't ride at all (or walk) for two weeks, and then I started commuting again ... about 15 km a day for the next month. I see from my records that I did do a 97 km ride in about the middle of that month, but that would not have been a race. It would have been quite a slow gentle ride. A couple weeks after that ride, I was off the bicycle a week, I tried to ride a few more days, and then was off for another two weeks. Then I rode on and off for the next month ... mainly just my commute. I tried some longer distance stuff for a bit ... and then was off the bicycle for another two weeks. Etc. Etc.

In other words ... I tried to ride, but kept re-injuring myself and having setbacks. Years later, I still struggle with achilles tendon issues. I wear ankle braces on all my long rides, and most of my hilly rides.

If you are going to wrap your ankles, make sure you do it properly ... it's different from wrapping for a sprained ankle. Get a Dr to show you how to do it.

You also have to think about the cause of the problem. In my case, my saddle was too high ... and was especially too high for riding in the hills.