View Single Post
Old 04-21-10, 11:13 AM
a1rabbit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyccommute;

You're right about everything you've mentioned. The only thing is we have to take into consideration that when you use liquid you're not forced to take an entire container.

When I say bulky, I also refer to weight. Stove and canister weighs in at more than a pop can stove (I don't have a good scale handy to go into details) and a small bottle of heet, or whatever you store your fuel in. Many people carry their fuel in a very small squeeze bottle, much like these when they hike. I'm not talking about gasoline, etc. Don't use that in a pop can stove! With a canister stove you really can't cut back on weight except to find the lightest canister, and when you replace the canister you have to pack it back out. When you use an alcohol stove you just take enough to last you for your trip, plus a bit more for emergency.

Also, I've seen half bottles of heet (equivalent) in hiker bins, I've never seen a canister. People tend to buy a bottle of fuel, sometimes a gallon (can) and only take what they have room for. They then leave the rest in the hiker bin for the next person. I've only seen two hiker bins, but I used to always went to the same places back when I hiked regularly so that's probably why. For those who don't know what a hiker bin is it's basically a box, or a bag of left over "hiker stuff" that a store or post office might keep behind their counter or in plain view. Hikers who have come by leave items that are too good to throw away but that they may have replaced with something better in the box for anyone who needs it. I've seen old hats, pegs, fuel, sunglasses, patches, tapes, rope, bungees, sacks, inner tubes that probably need a quick fix, and bits and bobs of all kinds.

I'd not say that's a great reason to use a liquid fuel stove, it's just something I thought about.

The other thing we have to consider is how much we're cooking and how luxurious we want it to be.

There is no doubt that a canister stove will burn hotter, thus faster. But when it comes time to cook I don't care if it takes me an extra couple of minutes to do it. I tend to cook things that I just need to add water too, be it a pack of noodles or something I've dehydrated at home. The ability to simmer is also nice with a canister stove! Canisters and pressurized liquid fuel stoves are better for high wind as I think was mentioned. I also tend to cook mostly with water, I'm very minimalist when it comes to cooking away from home. I guess it's one of the things I skimp on to take more weight somewhere else, or not at all.

Ultimately it comes down to what suits the individual, all stoves have their merits and I will use whatever one fits my needs best at the time. I defiantly am not a snob who will turn down a canister or propane stove if it's there for me to use when I want to use it.