View Single Post
Old 04-22-10, 06:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have read this complaint from quite a few folks in different threads. Maybe I am dense, but I don't get it. You buy your liquid fuel in a container that has to be thrown away so it isn't like liquid fuels avoid the wasted container problem entirely. I guess the exception would be gasoline from the pump.

Additionally the canisters allow you the ability to buy the amount that you need while liquid fuel is likely to come in gallon containers especially if you burn white gas. I know that I don't want to carry a gallon of white gas when I need to restock on the road. We did see white gas in quart containers a few places on the TA, but I think they are still the exception. Alcohol avoids the large container size problem if you buy Yellow Heet in the small bottles, but again you throw a container away each time.

I'm not trying to sell one over the other in the liquid fuel vs canister gas debate. I might use liquid or isobutane depending on the trip. They both have their advantages.
Well put. I can't imagine trying to run gasoline from into an MSR fuel bottle without making a royal mess or spilling more than you can get in the bottle or creating a hazard bad enough for the EPA to get involved! The few times I've tried to transfer Coleman fuel from the gallon can to the MSR bottle I end up with more on the floor than in the bottle.

I suppose you could use mineral spirits, which are readily available in very small sizes, and it has a similar composition to white gas but I've never tested it so I can't say.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!