Old 04-29-10, 02:02 AM
Donnie2112

Bikes: not yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey folks, need some advice on buying a MTN bike.

Hello all, I'm a big guy (6'3" 240 lbs) hoping to both enjoy the great mountain biking opportunities Alaska has to offer and become a not so big guy. All of that said, I need to wade through what was good info and what was bad at the local bike shops.

Across the board I was told by the salesmen that I would do well to get into a higher price range then I had initially anticipated on the grounds that a guy of my size would quickly destroy a lesser bike if I were to ride it on any sort of rough terrain. The recommendations varied from $400, $600 and $1000. Is there any truth to these assertions?

I did some test riding as well, in fact I test rode the following bikes. I got the idea early on that I'd like a 29er, as such I test rode the following.

Kona Kahuna
Kona Fire Mountain
Felt Nine Comp
Gary Fisher Mamba
Giant Talon 29
Specialized Rockhopper

I really like the 29er and I really had fun riding just about all of them (the Gary Fisher and the Kona Kahuna stood out), but I'm concerned about over investing in something that I may not end up keeping up with for that long. On the other hand if what the bike shops told me was true, then the first time I take an inexpensive 26 on a trail I'm liable to just jack it up. So I guess I just need a little more info. What do all of you think?