X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Possible Brake replacement on 73 Schwinn LeTour

My good friend has been fixing up this 73 Schwinn LeTour I sold him around Christmas. Everything on the bike is pretty much perfect now, except the brake setup. It is not so much the brakes as the way the cable is routed through the seat post collar. It is damn near impossible to tighten the seat enough where it is not falling down and at the same time , not have the brakes just get pulled so tight they are locked.

Anyways, to make a short story long here, I believe my friend is thinking of remedying this. What are his options? If he switches to new brakes, would this fix it? Or is this a hardware of the seat collar issue? What kind of brakes could he use on that frame, I should note it is currently Canti-Lever setup but he has put new brake levers on (Tektro RL28).

If the solution is not in the brake themselves, what can be done about the hardware to the seat stay/post. Where can I find replacements for the Metal Guide plate for the cabling of the brakes and more importantly, new bolt hardware for the seat post itself.

Thanks in advance C&V crowd. The only place I could think of going.