Old 05-03-10, 04:05 PM
Aeneas
Clyde that Rides

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora,1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1980? Kuwahara Carrera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! I too did the ride yesterday for the first time. My training regimen wasn't that great but I, like you, made it. I started WAY back near Trinity Church and it was a while until I got to the official start. I only stopped in Queens for water refills and at the last two rest stops, one in Brooklyn and one at the foot of the Verazzano, but at about 35 miles (before the Verazzano), I started getting overheated and dehydration was kicking in. Pulled off onto the sided, sat in the shade next to New York Harbor and cooled off. After a quick stop at the Cannonball, I was up and over the Verazzano without a problem, slow and steady, didn't even drop onto the smallest chainring.
The only causality of my clyde-itude, I popped a spoke on my rear wheel somewhere between the Cannonball Stop and festival.
At 320 lbs, I have a lot of weight I can lose, but I had fun on this ride and if I'm close enough to NYC to do it next year, I will, albeit hopefully a smaller me.
BTW, a link to my tour pics in the in 2010 5 Boro Bike Tour Registration thread in the Northeast regional forum (page 5 or 6 I think).