View Single Post
Old 05-03-10, 04:16 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
ok here's something...

again according to Sheldon:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...er-course.html
Throughout the Bike Boom era, the Super Course was the least expensive Raleigh model to feature aluminum rims. It was also the least expensive model to use standard British tread dimensions, rather than the Raleigh proprietary threading used on bikes built at the Nottingham factory.
So according to that they're ALL 24tpi and all us Super Course owners can just measure the BB shell and get a Sealed Cartridge in the correct width if we wanted to...or upgrade to a name-brand (read:not Raleigh) Bottom Bracket in the correct width.

I see where the assumption that Super Courses would be 26tpi comes from though
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh26.html
In later years, higher-end Raleigh models such as the International, Professional, Competition, Grand Sport and other models built at the separate Carlton workshop used B.S.C. threading, as did models made in Asia and the United States. These bicycles all used cotterless cranks.
Generally speaking, Raleighs that use cottered cranks will also have Raleigh 26 TPI threading for both the bottom bracket and the headset.
The operative words there are Generally Speaking and its easy to assume that the Super Course is not BSC threading when The listing of 'higher-end' Raleighs doesn't include the Super Course and additionally it says Those bikes used cotterless cranks. So its an easy assumption to make that the super course would be 26tpi. But Apparently this is not the case.

Raleigh Super Course = 24tpi Bottom Bracket.

pardon me while I go swear at the hours I've wasted and then go order a new BB and crankset.