Old 05-04-10, 05:58 PM
waanfiride
I Only Got One Ventricle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfemur
If your doctor says it's Ok, then ride and don't worry about it. It can only be good for you. When I was your age, I rode a lot, on a road bike (before they were called road bikes). My only medical problem at the time was severe pollen allergy. At 56, I still have that plus asthma now, I've had a kidney transplant, skin cancer, a heart issue called left ventricular hypertrophy, I have an irregular heartbeat, and I'm probably not in my right mind either, but I still ride every day, weather permitting. I ride moderately fast, and slow down once in a while, but I'm still out there passing the more casual cyclists. and when I go, I'm out for a couple of hours, sometimes longer.

But don't take chances. Ask your cardiologist.

Yeah, that's the plan as of now. Part of my heart is growing way bigger than it should be (it's ~2.5x bigger than a full grown adult males should be- and I'm a tiny guy), and they're kind of waiting to decide if they're going to operate before it ruptures, or see if it will stop growing on its own, or with meds. Nothing is really "known" I've got a compounding of conditions that make my case really, really unique.