Old 05-05-10, 08:57 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The Aerohead rim ... will last me 2-3000 miles before I get too nervous to leave it on there. It gets wet sometimes.
Is that a "2-3000" a typo? With 4200 miles on our tandem in the last year, we'd be either on our second or third rim of the year! We're on A719 in front and either Dyad or Deep V in back, depending on which wheel we're using. No noticeable break wear on the rims so far. I would expect them to last close to 20000 miles. Both rear wheels have Arai drum brakes, which are really nice for long, steep descents. They keep the speed down enough that I only have to brake hard for tight turns. I seldom check rim temperatures, but as it happens I checked the other day after slowing 400 pounds down from 40 to zero for a stop sign at the bottom of a 400 foot descent. The rims were fairly warm, but I could hold my thumb on them indefinitely so not hot, really. Shimano cantilevers with Matthauser pads (bought from R+E Bicycles last month).

I agree that ceramic brake tracks would be nice, and I wish they were more widely available.