spang621
beer drinker

Bikes: trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I definitely qualify as a minimalist. I ride a good-quality rigid mountain bike that I bought (brand new) in a pawn shop for $100. I ride for at least 60 minutes a day, 7 days a week in all weather here in Michigan. In nice weather I frequently ride much much more. My motto is, "I don't ride as fast but I do ride farther." (Although I am actually pretty fast for a 50 year old on a mountain bike,) I certainly do not look down on those with great expensive bikes, nor do I envy them. I admire those who train seriously on road bikes as a hobby, but I kinda despise those who spend more than $1,000 dollars on a bike, then ride for only 3 or 4 days a year. They should give their bikes to someone who will really appreciate them--like me!

I think the real distinction of minimalists is our way of looking at cycling. To us, it isn't a hobby, it's a way of life. It is both basic transportation and recreation, and the only thing we really want to do. That said, I aspire to a great bike, and now that I'm no longer paying for a car, I will be able to afford one soon. However, I don't think that I will ever buy an ultralight, fragile cycle. I want to spend my time riding, not repairing!
i don't know enough to know if i'm a minimalist biker or not. one of the things that i've noticed about cycling is that everyone seems to have a motto. it can change over time but it's always there, at least for me and from what i can see from others. cycling offers such a wide range of possible mottos: fastest, longest, cheapest, most expensive, tinkerest, tranportationist, extreme technical ridingest, environmentalist, i don't see you when it's rainingest, etc. the thought processes i have while biking are way different than driving. perhaps those interested in getting more people to ride instead of drive should focus on getting people mottos that they can use.