Thread: Change pedals
View Single Post
Old 04-18-05, 11:56 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Bear in mind size issues, especially foot width. I like Specialized because of the metatarsal button, and the Taho is a nice shoe at a good price. The model seems reasonably wide. Oddly a much more expensive Specliazed MTB model felt too constrictive.

I've been through a series of Shimanos for everyday wear (commuting and work and stuff). They're fine, last reasonably well, and are reasonable value. For some reason, Shimano insists on changing colour and design specs every year, so if you find a good pair of shoes in their range, you really should buy two pairs.

You do need to consider the sole carefully. Even some MTB shoes have a sole design that is not totally practical for touring and walking and hiking (in particular).

Another option that may be considered are bike-specific sandals. I have almost been seduced by the testimonials of others on several occasions. Their supporters say they will never go back to shoes for touring (or general riding purposes). Their soles have recesses in them for cleats, too. Socks and things like Seal Skins (neoprene outer booties that are waterproof) can overcome cold and wet issues. Others here may add their recommendation. Shimano appear to make the best, from all reports. Maybe when I am 55 and the socks-and-sandals image fits better, I may break down and buy a pair.