Old 05-08-10, 05:06 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
From what I've read, some of the US companies started producing in the US, still make some high-end frames here, and have gradually shifted regular bikes to overseas production. I expect something like this has gone on at Devinci as well.

I don't see anything on their website that says where they are produced. I do find a statement in their history that "The reputation of Devinci bikes was spread by word of mouth, by cyclists who were satisfied and proud to own a Canadian-made bike.", which certainly leaves the impression that they build bikes there.

I would guess that the bike shop guys were just assuming where these were made and hadn't really paid attention. As to what to do about, I don't know.

There have also been issues in the past where a frame would be made in, say, Turkey, then the bike would be painted, assembled and all in, say, the Netherlands. If enough work was done in the assembly place, the bike would still be marked as made there, rather than Turkey. But the issue in that case wasn't what the bike shop guys said, it was an issue of how the bikes were labeled.