Old 05-09-10, 08:44 PM
krazygl00
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Missbumble
2008 - April 21 a month and a half before I started with new bike and new food plan: 226.5
2009- 5/4 1 year of biking and new food plan: 173.5
2010 Start:185.5 (I gained but not that much and am pretty happy with weight, but would like to lose it and weigh about 151ish...size 8 oh and have a spectacular life partner, hubby, man......and a pony.
Week2 Start: 183.5(-2YTD)
Week 3: 184 (-1.5YTD)
Week 4 182.5 (-3YTD) Ran 8.25 miles on Saturday - WOW!!!!
Week 5: 181.5
Week 6:180 Really? So (-5.5 YTD) YAY ME!
Week 7 180.5 (-5 YTD) Valentines Day.......
Week 8 I dunno - at parents...hopefuly holding steday. This is a tough place for me food wise.
Week 9 178 Really???Week 10: No exercise all week - up to 181.5 Ithink the Vanilla Yogurt Sunday did not help!
Week11: 183
Week 12: ??
Week 13: 183.5 YIKES TIME TO GET MOVIN!!
Week 14: 184
Week 15: 186 - WRONG Direction!!
Week 16: 184
Week 17: 183.5
Week 18: 186
OK so definitiely I am screwing this up!So must get serious. It''s hard to be committed. The long bike rides - make me tired and entitiled to eat. But it's also more than that. Have been thinking of shortening my rides - and maybe having time to do other stuff on the weekend - just not sure what that would be, Anyway - I do not feel good about where I am weight wise. I really need to look at the food etc.

Today has been a bit better - so time for me to start going out of my way to eat the right foods. Make it a priority!!

Ok, so I don't want to become the board's diet know-it-all or anything, but I did go through significant weight loss in 2004 (in Atlanta, actually -- lost 120lbs in about 8 months), a process that cost a good amount of money but taught me a lot. So if you don't mind some unsolicited advice, I would suggest that a more stable routine would work really well for you (and I suspect for a lot of posters here). Reading your posts it seems that you are the victim of your diet being taken wherever the wind may blow.

Jamming up on tons of exercise sends your appetite into the stratosphere, and in the absence of a solid diet plan you eat whatever may be in your environment. The danger is that you are easily able to eat far more calories than you can work off. Case in point, I bet I can fit 5000 or even 10,000 calories of food onto three normal-sized dinner plates. Now consider how much exercise it takes to work off 5000 calories.

When I lost all that weight in 2004 I was riding...a whopping 35 miles per week. That's it. Yet I consistently dropped 4.5lbs per week. I think the key for anyone struggling to reign in their diet should be routine...come up with a moderate riding schedule. Come up with a daily eating plan that you can stick to, that doesn't let you get hungry. Written, specific planning is key, and until your plan becomes routine that you know by heart, having it written down is really the only way to stick to it. I always considered my daily eating plan my "safe haven", and when I found myself getting really hungry I would almost literally run to it, stuff some food (from my plan) in my face and keep the hunger away. Plan on eating every 2 hours. In 2004, my co-workers joked that I was perpetually taking lunch at my desk, because I was always eating something. Think "high volume(or mass)/low calorie" -- it's an extremely effective diet.

So goals for the week:
Drink more water. Eat less. Eat a smaller breakfast - no bagels/bacon.
OK - let's see how I do..
I think a better plan would have specific actions, something like:
- Get carafe to keep water at desk, fill carafe every morning and at lunch. Get a designated water bottle not used for riding, that will be my constant companion.
- Eat a better breakfast, not smaller: 1 cup yogurt, 1 fruit cup, 1 serving of oatmeal (the Weight Control stuff is my favorite). If you're still hungry, increase the volume. Bagels and bacon are two of the most calorie-dense foods I can think of, they shouldn't even be in thousand-mile-orbit of your eating plan.
- Menu for Monday: (literally write down what you plan to eat)
- Menu for Tuesday: (same)
- Menu for...

Tues Eve - Step Class
Wed Eve - combat or meet with friends
Friday - Gym/Bike 30 miles
Sat & Sun Bike 30 each day. (Save money - no charity ride. Read at the pool and relax....Just do not eat non-stop!)
Yes, with that much exercise you do need to plan to eat nearly non-stop, it's just that you'll have to have the plan in place to eat the right things. Planning not to eat means you're only planning on delaying it. My feeling is that at this point, since you don't have an established routine already in place and in practice, doing all that exercise and then planning to use will power to just eat less is inviting disaster. My recommendation would be to dial back the riding for a while, get a good eating routine in place, then if you feel like it, ratchet up the miles and double down on the eating plan. Come up with a solid plan, stick to it, think longer term.