View Single Post
Old 05-11-10, 07:02 PM
msh1283

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training advice for a specific race.

Three day stage race (all three crits). Day three has a ***** of a hill, at least for me. It's short and steep...about 20-25 seconds for me, 90 degree turn at the top into a less steep uphill for two blocks, downhill for a block, and back up, a little bit steeper into another 90 degree turn, steep downhill into the last turn, then straight, slightly downhill for 4 blocks back to the base of the ***** hill.

I cannot hit this thing in my big ring. If I'm completely fresh, I can manage two laps in 53/19 before I have to get down into my small ring. Climbing this thing in the big ring isn't really feasible when I'm fresh anyways. By the time I get to the turn, I'm out of the saddle, struggling to turn 60 rpms. Needless to say, I'm not a climber (6'3", 180...). I do better on longer climbs, but I live in the midwest...longest hill I have regular access to is 1.2 miles. I've got to the point where I can stay with a cat 5 pack without too much effort on flats, but I know this course is going to destroy me right now.

So, any tips on how to train for this thing? I've been going out and riding the course at least once a week for the last few months, but haven't really seen any improvement in this area. I'm sure there are some helpful details that I've left out, so let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Thanks