View Single Post
Old 05-12-10, 11:57 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
First some clarification. It is very hilly where I ride, and I've always done just fine with a 52/39 double and 12-25 cassette on my other road bikes. I've been using the 50/34 crank with 12-27 cassette for the past year on my commuter bike, which typically weighs about 30 lbs when loaded with gear, and it is perfectly adequate on a hilly route. I realize that the 30 small ring on the DA crankset is not as small as many tourers use, but my goal is to travel light while touring. I also could easily add a DX or XT rear derailleur and 12-30 or 12-34 rear cassette if I find that I need lower gearing.

The reason I jumped at the DA components is that I already have DA or Ultegra components on my bikes, so all of the parts will be compatible. The price was much less than what Ultegra or even 105 components would cost new. I don't intend to use the DA rear derailleur on my touring bike. Will keep the Ultegra RD that is currently on the bike and replace with a DX/XT or long-throw Ultegra/105 and larger cassette if needed.

Last edited by tarwheel; 05-12-10 at 01:31 PM.