View Single Post
Old 05-12-10, 07:26 PM
Germanicus
Delusional Laserbrain

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross, 1993 Giant Iguana rebuild w/ singlespeed drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Luck,
I am doing the same thing myself, and am about 2/3 done. You will learn a lot. One thing I can say is that before I started I thought I knew a bit about bicycles, but after getting involved I realized there were many things I knew absolutely nothing about.

You probably want to start with this website:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
It has a lot of answers to the questions you will be asking. Also go to the DIY thread in this website.

Firstly, you you should determine how much you want to spend and how much you really want to do yourself.
Do you want to build the wheels by buying the hubs spokes and rims and lacing them all together or just buy a set?
Do you wish to install the BB and Headset yourself or have a shop do those tasks for you?
You will also need special tools for some jobs. Some of which are expensive and which you may never use again.

For a SS freewheel, I would start by separating the buildup into the following categories and research them:
1. fork/stem/headset/handlebars
2. wheelset/crank/BB/chain/hub/cog
3. brakes/levers/cables

The two biggest hurdles you are likely to encounter with the drive train are chain-line and chain-tension (If your bike has vertical dropouts)
They will give you the biggest headaches and effect which cranks, BB hubs etc. will work together.

As for your frame, I would go to a Home depot, and purchase a cheap pair of vernier calipers so you can measure the tube diameters on your frame yourself, so you know what size components to buy.

Anyway, have fun and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Germanicus; 05-12-10 at 07:29 PM.