View Single Post
Old 05-13-10, 03:12 PM
JML

Bikes: 3Rensho SR Export

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If memory serves me well, in the US, there were relatively few high-end French bikes brought into the US during the bike boom years, because of who was bringing them in, the standard French oddities on frames and components that would (and still do) drive people nuts, and the price. Before that period center-pulls were the brakes of choice, except for Campy Record. Then when side-pulls based on the Campy Record design became the mainstream in Japanese-sourced bikes. The last Japanese center-pull was a Dia Compe. The only French bikes imported in any numbers (and there weren't too many) were Motobecane, Peugeot, and Gitane, and most were probably racing or sport-touring mid-range models. The makers were reluctant to put anything on their bikes that wasn't French, for a long, long time. High-end French bikes, racing or touring, were very rare, usually 95% French, with a little bit of Italy tossed in when they couldn't avoid it.

I bet high-end French bikes were probably among the rarest things you could find in the US back then (and now).

During that time, when I lived in Boston, I think the only French bikes I saw any shop carry were in the Bicycle Exchange in Cambridge. I always felt that they carried Motobecane only to keep a particular moustachioed salesman, Robert (Ro-baire), happy. He'd always start pushing Motobecane, but it seemed the customers walked out with Univegas, which looked much nicer and were far better values. It might have been a reaction to the Gallic hauteur, too.

Last edited by JML; 05-13-10 at 03:26 PM.