View Single Post
Old 05-15-10, 06:55 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I posted this earlier today in C&V. I guess it should go here too.

Got out today (finally), Waltham through Lexington, Bedford, Concord to Carlisle and back, 45.15 miles. Stiff headwind on the way out but the ride back was quick!

Some bike club ride must have been in progress. In Carlisle center is a general store, and out in front was sign for a wine tasting and about a zillion bikes. Don't know how well they be be returning home though.

Got to use my new wireless "computer" today. Interesting results. At a stop in Concord on the way out it said my top speed was 65.8mph. (??) Either it saw some wireless interference or I hit some wicked bumps as the magnet was passing the sensor. The distance was what I expected though. I made a note of the mileage (16.02) and reset it. That would give me a direct reading on the Concord-Carlisle loop. I also checked it when I got back to Bedford and it read 1776! Well, actually 17.76, but that's close enough to be cosmically significant. Top speed on the return run was 30.9mph, not a surprise. I actually had a few occasions to spin out in my top gear on the return, which doesn't happen very often.
The beer tastes might good now.

Addendum: It occurred to me that if I added a few more of those little magnets to my wheels I'd go a lot faster.