View Single Post
Old 05-16-10, 09:14 PM
Keithmj
Bus Driver

Bikes: Trek 1.2 Trek 7.2FX Troker single speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safety #1

Originally Posted by SunnyMiami
I found the tips pretty useful even though I definitely don't have the experience or the speed to ride in a regular traffic lane.

I did venture out into the bike lane today and kept in mind the important tip to "own the lane". Saying this to myself a number of times eventually stopped me from scurrying back to the sidewalk when I felt the cars were a tad to close for comfort.
That is a start. Just be careful and use your mirror. If you don't have one get one. I check my mirror all the time. Also use a rear blinkie to get the drivers attention or a High Vis vest. When I ride home in Saint Petersburg, Florida at 11:00 pm I use three blinkies, Reflective vest and bands on my ankles besides the front lights. If the lane is not wide enough for a bike and a car I always take the lane. If you don't you'll be squeezed off the road. It takes awhile to get use to doing it and you still have to be careful, and drivers will still honk at you at times but you'll get use to it, and after you do it awhile the drivers will also get use to you being there.

On Fridays take the backroads and side streets if you can, more drunks are out and everyone is in a hurry to get home. Be extra careful on the weekend also. Just stay safe.

I really liked their videos and hope they make more..Maybe I'll do one or two..