View Single Post
Old 05-17-10, 07:20 AM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
While you're exploring a purchase in your local bike shop (LBS) ask them about organized clubs in your area. A large, well organized club will have graded rides, perhaps A through F, at least half of which will be "no drop". These rides have leaders who are responsible for pace and regroups. the club may even have a training program for new riders. The average pace for the slowest of the groups may be in the 10-12 mph range (on level ground) and rides could be as short as 10-15 miles. A hybrid would be fine for these rides and it won't take you long to build up enough to partake in them.

If you live in a small community you may not find a cycling club quite so organized, but the LBS should also offer a means for meeting like-skilled cyclists.
This thread is a wealth of good info for a noob. For me, it was joining a group like RD mentions that really got me hooked. I really doubt if I would have logged 4500 mi this last year if it was just me. Now I have taken so great memorable solos, but the high speed (and occasional low speed) club rides are my "bread and butter" Oops, sorry for the food reference! But really, proper nutrition and hydration before, during, and after a ride is critical, especially as you improve.

I started last March on a borrowed road bike that was a close fit. It was an '89 Trek 1200, and that sucker is still light and fast. There were 4 problems with it. 1 it was too small by 1" and 2. it was borrowed. 3. it is aluminium with a cro mo fork, so the ride was jarring on long rides. 4. it has "down tube shifters" which work great, but are not as safe and convenient as today's integrated shifters. I have as yet to return the bike as it works great for the occasional trip to the store, and the owner is in no hurry to get it back.

I bought a bike in Craigslist, but it was a mistake. It was too small. I got lucky and was able to sell if at a nice profit. But with all I learned in the first 2 months of riding and research, I knew what I wanted and was able to by a bike on line. It's a great way to get a lot of bike for the money, but it's not for everyone. You have to know what you want, what size you need, and be able to do the minor assembly, fitting, and adjustments, or pay someone to do it. A good LBS will provide you with a lot of value, so visit several, talk to a lot of people, ride a lot of bikes, and make a good informed decision. And after a while if you find you have made a mistake, don't be afraid to correct it.

$400 won't buy anything new worth having in the road bike arena, but a lot of research and learning and LUCK can get you a good deal on craigslist. Do you feel lucky?

I really enjoy the social aspect of club rides and the speed of a road bike, but when you are in a pace line at 25+ there's no time for socializing. All that happens at the beginning, warm up, rest stops, and afterward.