Old 04-20-05, 09:45 PM
Jonny49

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At what point do you say "Buy a new bike"

I had some people ask me to look at their bikes. The bikes are a matched pair. They are at least 15 years old and they have been left outside for the last 7 years. They are/were cromoly frames, have cantilever brakes, Kenda tires, no quick release, thumbshifters, Shimano SIS derailleur, 6 speed cassette/freewheel. They said they bought them at a bike shop. The brand on the down tube is LEADER. I have never heard of this brand.

Anyway, as soon as I saw the bikes one of which had multiple spokes broken on both wheels ( I think because their teenaged sons had been doing jumps with it) I figured go out and buy new bikes. The drive trains were seized with the chain and rear cogs so rusted the links would not bend. I managed to get the rusted chain apart and then soaked it overnight but it is finished. So I am plannning to tell these people to go out and buy new hybrid bikes. They are in their mid forties and do not really ride much. Jsut the occasional jaunt. So I figure they should be able to get a good deal on a pair of bikes. BTW when I took the seat of the bikes and flipped the biek over dirty brown water came pouring out. Which would indicate that the seat tube was full of water.

I was wondering at what point some of you may have resurrected bikes. At what point do you just say, "Gee go out and buy some new bikes"