View Single Post
Old 05-21-10, 04:58 PM
Ken Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cedfromfrance
If you happen to stay in Maurienne, or around Chambery, Albertville, we could do some gentle circuit somewhere in the area, we don't have to climb HC passes, for me the prettiest pass would be the Col des Aravis, quite easy and beautifull, I guess you already know this one
Great -- I just sent you a PM with my phone + email.

Aravis: I've climbed over it S to N, but what I'd like to try new is descending from Col d'Aravis to Flumet.

Bauges, Chartreuse or Vercors
I've skied in every mountain group except the Devoluy, but have not biked in any of those -- so I'd be glad to start exploring.

So you are into Backcountry skiing as well, I also do lots of backcountry skiing with some friends here
The Belledonne are so amazing for ski mountaineering (and nobody outside of France has heard of them). Five years ago, Georges and I skied across the Belledonne from W to E, starting from Gleyzin, across the Selle du Puy Gris, and finishing down the Combe du Tepey to les Roches.

Galibier -- a few years ago I skied the Grand Galibier (by one of the moderate routes, not the Clapiere). In springtime we wait eagerly for a report that the Galibier road has been plowed as far as Plan Lachat. Last May, David + I skied the Pointe des Cerces: the summit is not so interesting, but the approach from Plan Lachat around the NE side of the Grand Galibier and into this intimidating cirque felt very wild and remote. (there's an unpaved road to the SE from the Galibier road which starts toward that area)

Col du Galibier in early May

Georges + Hubert climbing above Galibier tunnel entrance

I wonder if at first this year they will plow only far enough to open the little tunnel, while the actual road over the Col du Galibier will not be plowed free until later.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Roberts; 05-21-10 at 05:05 PM. Reason: fix a couple words