Old 05-21-10, 05:13 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tiggermaxcocoa View Post
This question may be more suited to a backpacking forum, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Last week my wife and I left work early to do an overnight backpacking trip in the National Forest by our house. The rules for camping in this forest is that you can go anywhere you want, as long as it's at least 50 feet off the trail. We arrived at a nice looking area about 6-7 miles in and decided to set up camp for the night. It was a pretty nice area, with a decent size clearing a little waterfall in view.

About 2 hours after we set up, a group of 3 hikers arrived at the site. They said, "Hope you two don't mind having some company for the night." They proceeded to walk around the site, tripping over guylines we had set up, looking for some room to add their tents. After a couple of minutes, my wife spoke up and basically asked them if they would leave, since an infinite number of "campsites" exist along the trail. She explained that we left work early and came out to have some solitude. They reluctantly left.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this, on a bike tour or while backpacking? Did we handle this in the wrong way?
If the rules for the forest are that you can camp anywhere beyond a designated distance from the trail ( which is pretty common ), then both common sense and courtesy should have told them to ask you first, and then go elsewhere if you decline their company.

In areas where you have to camp only at designated sites, or where regulations specifically require you to share ( parts of the Adirondacks, especially in lean-to's ), then you're pretty much stuck with whoever shows up.