Old 05-23-10, 08:38 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 961 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Insp822
Thanks guys but with second child on the way a new bike is not an option for me. Just need to find a solution that works as a reasonable price. I'll have to source most parts second hand via ebay. Worst case scenario for me is £200 outlay. I have been gifted some 44cm drops and a matching stem. So just need the STI levers and figure out the brakes / cassette issues. My chain is due replacement according to the measuring tool so it may be tim eto replace the cassette also and do the job all at once.

The idea of tinkering with the bike and doing the upgrading myself is highly appealing and half the fun I think. Just want to make sure when I splash out on parts they are going to work together!
I have bought several modern touring bikes with brifters for that price, and everything works. But I am in a different market. If money is tight, building up a bike is rarely if ever the cheapest option.